Mapei Kerapoxy Adhesive - Two Component Epoxy Adhesive - White (10kg)
- Downloads Mapei Kerapoxy Adhesive Comp A Safety Data.pdf, Mapei Kerapoxy Adhesive Comp B Safety Data.pdf, Mapei Kerapoxy Adhesive Technical Data.pdf
Two-component, epoxy adhesive with no vertical slip for ceramic tiles and stone material
CLASSIFICATION ACCORDING TO EN 12004 Kerapoxy Adhesive is an R2T class reactive (R), improved (2) adhesive with no vertical slip (T).
WHERE TO USE
Internal and external bonding of ceramic, porcelain and stone to floors and walls, on all substrates normally used in the building industry.
Some application examples
- Bonding of all types and forms of ceramic tiles.
- Rigid bonding of bullnose and special ceramic tile shapes.
- Bonding tiles in fibreglass swimming pools.
- Bonding marble doorsteps and windowsills.
Kerapoxy Adhesive is a two-component, epoxy resin-based high strength mortar with silica sand and special additives, according to a formula developed in MAPEI’s own research laboratories. When the two components are mixed together, a thixotropic mix is obtained which can be easily applied, even on vertical surfaces, at a thickness of up to 1 cm in one single coat.
Kerapoxy Adhesive has the following characteristics:
- Excellent durability and resistance to ageing
- Perfect bonding on all types of substrate commonly used in the building industry
- Hardens by chemical reaction without shrinking, becoming extremely strong.
- Do not add water or solvents to Kerapoxy Adhesive to increase workability.
- Use the product at temperatures between +10°C and +30°C.
- The packages are pre-dosed and, therefore, it is not possible to make mixing ratio errors. Do not rough guess the quantities when mixing the two components: hardening will be compromised if the catalysing ratio is wrong.
- If residues of the product remain attached to the tiles, use water for cleaning while the residue is still fresh. Use Pulicol if the product is hard, or remove mechanically.
- Kerapoxy Adhesive must not be used for sealing flexible joints or those which are subject to movement (use Mapesil AC or Mapeflex PU21).
- Kerapoxy Adhesive must not be used on wet surfaces.
- Kerapoxy Adhesive must not be used on dirty or crumbly surfaces.
Preparation of the substrate The substrate must be well cured, mechanically strong, dry and free from flaking parts, grease, oil, paint, wax etc. Cementitious substrates must not shrink after laying the tiles. Therefore, during good weather, the curing time must be at least one week per centimetre of thickness, unless screeds are made using a special MAPEI binder such as Mapecem, Topcem or with Mapecem Pronto or Topcem Pronto. If these guidelines are not followed, the bond of Kerapoxy Adhesive to the substrate could be compromised.
On ferrous surfaces, rust must be removed by sand-blasting.
On gypsum, plaster-board and anhydrite surfaces, we recommend consolidating the surface by applying a coat of Primer EP or Mapeprim SP. Anhydrite surfaces must be additionally mechanically abraded prior to priming.
Preparation of the mix
The two components which make up Kerapoxy Adhesive are supplied in pre-dosed tubs.
- part A: grey/white colour, 80 parts by weight;
- part B: beige colour, 20 parts by weight.
The ratio between the two components is compulsory, and any modification may cause the product to harden incorrectly. Pour the catalyst (part B) into the container with part A and mix well until a smooth paste is obtained. We recommend using a lowspeed electric mixer to guarantee perfect bonding, and to avoid overheating of the mix which would reduce working times. Stir from the bottom and the sides to ensure a uniform dispersion of all components. Use the mix within 45 minutes of its preparation.
Spread the adhesive onto the substrate using a suitable notched trowel. If the adhesive is used for bonding special tile shapes such as torelli, also fill the gaps on the back of the piece with the Kerapoxy Adhesive mix before laying. Press the pieces to be bonded by pressing them together to guarantee good buttering. Once set, the bond will be very tough.
The surrounding temperature effects the hardening time of the product. At +23°C it remains workable for approximately 45 minutes, and this time reduces as the temperature increases.
SET TO LIGHT FOOT TRAFFIC
Floors may be stepped on after 10-12 hours at +23°C.
READY FOR USE
The surfaces may be put into service after 2 days.
Tools and containers may be cleaned while the product is still fresh using plenty of water. Once Kerapoxy Adhesive has set, they may only be cleaned mechanically or with Pulicol.
Consumption is 1.5 kg/m2 per millimetre of thickness.
10 kg kits: component A: 8 kg tubs; component B: 2 kg cans.